Week 1: Context Clues
Students are introduced to vocabulary in nine thematic units. Week 1 of each unit starts by introducing students to new vocabulary words through a reading selection. Students use Context Clues Strategies to unlock word meanings.
- Weekly thematic reading selection presents words in context.
- Each four-week unit features a different Context Clues Strategy.
- Use of the Context Clues Strategy is modeled.
- Students practice using the Context Clues Strategy.
- Students predict and check meanings with a graphic organizer.
Context Clues Strategies direct students to look for
- objects or ideas related to the word.
- definitions, descriptions, or synonyms.
- the location or setting.
- what the word is used for.
- what the word is compared with
- what the word is contrasted with
- what kind of object, concept, or action the word is.
- how something is done.
View sample for your grade.